Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Armenian lamb dumplings- Monti

The weather has finally turned and the windows are open and the breeze is blowing through my house. It was cool and I suggested a soup and my daughter said we should make monti, and that she would help. Being rather labor intensive I jumped at her offer and we sat down and talked and made monti. First you make a mixture of lamb, chopped parsley, finely chopped onion , lots of chopped garlic , salt, pepper, a little cumin and a little cinnamon. Traditionally you would make your own dough but I use wonton or egg roll wrappers. Each eggroll wrapper is cut in fourths then each of those is cut in fourths so you have small squares ,you place a ball of meat and pinch the sides together to form little canoes.


Bake for about 20 minutes until they are about to brown. In the mean time you have made a lovely hot broth, homemade or boxed, I use a mixture of beef and chicken. You ladle some broth into the pan and put it back in the oven for a minute or two.






Then ladle them into a bowl with more broth and a big dollop of yogurt mixed with fresh garlic salt and pepper, and if you like a little dill. This is a lot of work but so delicious. I usually make this for a holiday but was glad to have my daughters time and energy to help make these. Well worth the effort! We even made enough to stick in the freezer for another couple of meals. Lets just hope the weather stays nice and cool, but I am afraid it will probably get hot again.

















2 comments: